Saturday, September 23, 2006

What Is Cool? Part 2

From The Secret Files Of Ike Lew, Coffeeshop Hero:


"Reggae is cool. Because dreadlocks are cool. Because Bob Marley had some and that boy could sing, and he also shot the sheriff, although, not the deputy, but you shouldn't believe everything you hear. Plus Bob knew how to Stir It Up and Marley thought, "no, woman, no cry."

And so did Ike."


Ike is really starting to take shape as someone I would like to spend more time with. I liked him before when he was just a rock-climber turned dancer, I like him even more now that he wants to be a star. I shall introduce the rest of the cast when they occur to me.

Anyway, back to the topic: Jazz is cool. I won't even begin to list the greats.

Most ads are not cool. To be genuinely cool, you have to not care what you want to do. And too much money is involved. See Part 1.

An example of cool: Flatland Riding. Read that and digest coolness. Look, they come right out and say things they shouldn't, such as "Dress in a all black or a sporty looking hoody with a truckers cap so you will look cool. Looks are much more important in the art of street riding." They don't care if they are thought of as wankers. Also, a web-zine that proclaims that it is "not worth the bytes its transmitted on" has either crafty attitude or my testicles are black. Either way works fine.


Ok, fashion. Fashion is cool, insomuch as it is possible to be cool while spending a small country's GDP on say, 2 small triangles of fabric held together with a yak's beard.

Only to have that taken off, stat.

Yea, I saw 'Devil Wears Prada'. Killer speech, by the way. Oh, that was cool.

Michael Bolton: Not cool.

Orchestral music: coolness evoked. For proof, listen to Hadyn and Rachmaninoff, or try anyone Russian.

Me not giving an ass about writing. That's cool.

What's not cool: having a list.

D'oh. Freakney Speares, it's going to rain buckets. Normally I would grab the Volkswagen and head for the hills, but my new stickers ...

Sigh... I am tragically uncoool.

No comments: