Saturday, September 02, 2006

I'm Thomson. NO, I'M THOMPSON.


"Ask them for the Air Way Bill No. Call the Freight forwarder to check the wherebout of the shipment. "

--
Posted by Emmerdeur to O Wheely? YEA WHEELY! at 7/28/2006 08:49:03 AM


Yo Emmerdeur person. Sorry for missing your comment. I hope I did not seem rude. Being new to 'blogging' I didn't know you had to go to 'moderate posts' to, uh, moderate... posts.

Forget me own name next.

Anyway if you have been keeping up, the alarm finally arrived, thanks to the very lovely Kate Grant who sent me a replacement.

I seem to be gaining a small readership. As proof, my little experiment on the 27th July worked. Hey Zaphod. Hope your gf likes the little blinky LEDs you gonna get for her handlebars.

About The Title.

"I'm Spartacus."

If you read the Tintin comics, and who the huh didn't if they grew up in the 80s, the Thomson twins were these two bumbling detectives, who according to Wikipedia: ".... Thomson and Thompson are two bumbling detectives who, although unrelated, look like twins with the only discernible difference being the shape of their moustaches.[17] They provide much of the comic relief throughout the series, being afflicted with chronic spoonerism and shown to be thoroughly incompetent."

Well, I got me a Thomson today. And it's the one with the funny moustache.

As opposed to the other Thompson with the not so funny one.

Ok maybe a pic would help.



27.2 x 330mm. Zero Degree Setback. I had to think long and hard about whether to go with silver or black.

Black it was because this way, Dad doesn't notice.

Links.

If you look on the right, there's some links there. I would like to explain why they're up.

The first is a no-nonsense kinda site by actual Singaporeans about the cycling that they do. I really enjoy reading about people who are driven by passion. They really do enrich the place in which they live. Note that because they used the same blog layout I had, I've switched mine to a new one. Hence the new blue look. The Moose-Stang loves the blues and approves.

The second is some bloke's site that was fun to read. I like sharp-tongued, articulate people who don't write behind a veil of hypocrisy. Life's so short.

Next, reading about Ken Kifer's death somehow made me feel a twange of sadness inside this hollow thing I call a heart. I learnt a lot about riding from the next link which is all the stuff he's written.

One way not to feel sad about his death is to browse through his legacy: his bike pages are filled with a wealth of information. You go back time and again and find something new and interesting. Or it could be me with my chronic short term memory triggered by my trying to kill it with booze. You be the judge.

Then we have Sheldon Brown, the ultimate authority on all things that rhyme with buy-sickle.. I keep returning to his site, if only to keep gawking at that picture of him with a helmet on. Who needs a bell when you look like that?

Cycler's Life and Bike Year are two other inspiring blogs that I have actually had the patience to read all the way through to the end.

And of course who can forget Freddie Hoffman, the Forrest Gump of the cycling world. In a world that's dying for a lack of reason to live, he's my kind of champion.

That's all. I'm still very sick. I had no idea the way an illness can completely wipe out your fitness level, much like how supplies of 2-ply toilet paper gets wiped out at Portable-Loos right after a 60,000 participant marathon run.

That sentence is so wrong and gross that I think I'll actually stop here.

Guess I may not be able to go explore Chinatown tomorrow.

No comments: