Saturday, July 22, 2006

Got Mud?







Just after where I took these pics, the wind was shaking tiny little leaves down from the trees.

It looked like snow, only green. I would have taken a video but it can't beat being there.

Also, I grew a mud moustache today.



I love it when the bike is dirty. Oh yea, this is my Nike sticker:




Despite the relatively dry conditions, my handling of the bike wasn't all that great today. A major contributer is my increasingly worn out to the bones front tire:



The threads look like they've been exposed to major trauma, with hundreds of tiny fissures and cracks on close inspection. I reckon they are going to be nasty in wet weather.

Just as well that I'm getting new wheels. Will switch out the tires at the same time.

This tire has seen more than 2000 kilometres. I don't know how many exactly. I've been beating it on the road ever since I started riding to work, and way before that, perhaps a couple of years in which I don't know how many kilometers were covered.

And given that I rode on roads so much.. I hardly wear out front tires. I must have changed the front only a maximum of 3 times in all the 8 years I've had this bike. So actual mileage may be quite a bit higher.

If you must know one thing about me... it is that everything I own lasts and lasts. Perhaps they are more durable to begin with.

I am also a careful rider. In all these 8 years, I've only ever had 2 flats. I've had 2 accidents on the road, in which a kid opened his door just as I was coming through, and the other in which a Mercedes Benz popped my mirror off in the rain.

That is not to say I don't push the limits sometimes. I almost endo-ed twice today on downhills, even though I have been checking back my speed coz of my tires.

And by almost, I mean I could feel the back wheel come up when I juiced the front. The second time i bounced a bit too much on a few step-like slopes - just a tad bit too much tap on the front and I would have flown for sure.

But with 24 years of cycling behind me ... I think I know how to keep my rear planted. It would be plenty stupid to fall down for no damn good reason - ie riding too fast.

I'm not in a hurry to go anywhere.






After all, I have no where to go.

No comments: