Saturday, August 25, 2007

You say that like it's a bad thing



gonococcus has left a new comment on your post ""You can stand under my umbrella"":

chaindrops? time to send the bike in for servicing!


Thanks, gonococcus. That is a good idea. I must confess, 2 of the drops were due to bad crashes, and 3 of them were from bad up shifts (or is it down? I always mix up the two), one that planted the chain between my spokes and cassette, and the other two in between cranks and BB. But still, spirit fingers. I won't say it if it weren't true.

Anyway, I not only need the whole bike and fork serviced (the last time was in February when I had a complete cable change; fork is due for its first oil change - 5000km baby!), I need to replace my entire drive train. Cranks, BB, rear cassette, and front dee (this guy is 9 years old! And so is my BB!):

XTR M970:


New composite chainring design for improved durability-

-Titanium/Carbon composite chainring-

-Optimized lightweight design for reduced weight while maintaining rigidity-

-Hyperdrive technology for best front shifting-

-New easier installation for left crank with better bearing adjustment-

Also known as "The Most Beautiful Cranks In The World. (TMBCITW) *sigh*

XTR CS-M950:


"Top three cogs are titanium. Five largest cogs are mounted to a alloy carrier to save wear on alloy freehub bodies..."
Whatever, dudes. You lost me at 'titanium'. I want it.


And an XTR front dee and 8-speed chain, any generation. XTR all. Money money money. Give it to meeee.


I beat on this bike rather more than anyone would do with his bike, but that's because I've spent the last 9 years with it (as of July 2007) and no longer care about scratches and dirt as much as I would. The paint job still looks good enough that people think it's new(ish) if not for the scratches. I put that down to the protective layer of dirt that's been on it most of its life.




This bike has seen me through my 20s and at least 3 relationships and numerous friendships. I didn't always have a good time at home, and often had to 'get away' from the folks in the middle of the night. One time I ended up falling asleep in Botanical Gardens and watched the sun rise over the lake/pond, with dew all over me and the bike at 7am. The only thing we haven't done together is go on tour.

You're awesome, 'Stang. Still serving me, you old iron horse (aluminium moose?), you.


Click on the nice pic for bigger, better, volkswageny goodness.

If we were a couple, we'd be married by now.

So here's the plan. Let's ride to Vegas and get married. What do you say, El-Moose-stange-roo?




Aww... you're shy.... Hahahaha. I'm just kidding. You didn't really think I was serious did you?










...







Vegas is much too far.

No comments: