Sunday, August 19, 2007

Yet another unedited post.




Jack Kerouac would be so proud.

From Wiki "Kerouac utilized Chögyam Trungpa's "first-thought-best-thought" Buddhist idea,[10] and applied it to spontaneous writing; many of his books exemplified this approach... The central features of this writing method were the ideas of breath (borrowed from Jazz and from Buddhist meditation breathing), improvising words over the inherent structures of mind and language, and not editing a single word .... Connected with his idea of breath was the elimination of the period, preferring to use a long, connecting dash instead. As such, the phrases occurring between dashes might resemble improvisational jazz licks. When spoken, the words might take on a certain kind of rhythm, though none of it pre-meditated."

I realise, there's a lot of phrases that I use that I have to keep explaining.

Here's a few:

"Bring on the A game."
- this means don't play a B game when you should be showing me your A game.


"Drop the hammer."
- drop it on the anvil. This means strike while the iron is hot. It means to work really really hard.


"Bring it."
- Bring the A Game, bee-yotch.


"The early bird catches the cold."
- I can't think of why anyone needs this explained.

"Redline; redlining"
- means I'm at my limit, or trying to reach it. Drawn from the world of cars, where if you redline, you're overdue for a gear shift.


"I'd fly the river."
- Fly (over) the river (of tears). Rhymes with 'cry me a river." When that river is flowing, do you really want to swim in it? Flying the river means (to me) distancing myself from things that distract from whatever I'm trying to accomplish.

Language is so fun. The finish line is visible. Gonna redline it, play my A-game, drop the hammer and fly the river.

Hence the previous post: If you build it, they will come. Life, you know? For the slow... "Life. If you build it, they will come."

No comments: