Monday, June 26, 2006

So You Think You Can Drive.

The Moose-stang is still dirty. Say it with me: Respect!




In other news, I've made it home again from another day, another ride. Without lights, without a helmet.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in road safety. Although I've had bicycles since I was 6, my dad never let me ride on the roads till I was 13. Given the twit that I was until then, it was a good idea. My idea of fun was to ride without brakes.

I'm not much of a genius now either. To prove it: I still don't think helmets and lights are necessarily going to be very helpful in a collision.

On the way back I rode behind an ang moh (that's Caucasian to you non-locals), who was riding a commuter bike, with thin wheels/tires and real metal fenders. He also had on a really bright blinking rear light and a helmet that I swear, looked like a beanie hat:



What's the idea? If a car hits him, he's going to fly out of trouble?

Ok ok, my bad. I just think helmets look blinking ridiculous. If I get one, and I will, I'm going to get one that's all black.

Because I'm vain like that.

To continue the story, we were going past the old NUS at Dunearn Road (formerly SMU) and this car pulls out from a turn into the main road, cutting off our dear friend. So the guy pulls the brakes, then speeds up alongside the car and pats his mirror to make his displeasure known. Whatever happened to flippin' the bird?

You have no idea how often that happens.

As visible as our friend was, I must have been literally invisible to numbnuts and fuckfarts like that driver.

Which is why I ride like I *am* invisible. I don't wait for drivers to make mistakes.

Another thing that happens a lot is with those long-bodied buses. They're so long that my heart sometimes literally stops when they overtake. It seems to take forever to see the tail-end of those buses, for them to pass me safely.


I'm thinking of getting an egg-launcher. That'll get their attention, then.

Peace out.

No comments: